Friday, June 13, 2014

Bamboo Father's Day

I don't know about you but I feel that my family is the hardest to please... which has really worked to my advantage in that it always made me do my best.  And my dad is not a sentimental person but I made this card for him - I think the bamboo will really appeal to his Chinese heritage.  It has lots of meaning - usually peace, tranquility, home, long life... 

I started with a bamboo stencil and used embossing paste make my bamboo scene. It's a 6x6 stencil and though my panel is much smaller, I did the whole thing because I wasn't sure which section I was going to use.  After the paste dried, I replaced the stencil and sponged over with Mowed Lawn.  Then I moved one of my smaller A2 Matting Basic die around the stencil until I got just the right window of bamboo.  This was much better than my old way of just cutting off the edges until I got it right - this way I had a clean leftover portion for another purpose.  I sponged the edges carefully with Sage Shadow and I love the unexpected effect of the white shadowing due to the raised stencil.  I handcut some bamboo (not hard - just try cutting some crooked capital I!) and leaves. The branched leaves are SU Little Leaves thinned a bit to resemble bamboo leaves.  I had started with two stems of bamboo but decided one look better - 



Diana Nguyen, Verve, Strong Anchor, Scripture, stencil, bamboo

- and used the other on the inside of the card!  I also added this verse to the inside.  Thanks so much for looking! 

Diana Nguyen, Verve, Strong Anchor, Scripture, stencil, bamboo



Recipe:
Dies:  Spellbinders A2 Matting Basic, SU Little Leaves
Ink: Tim Holtz Mowed Lawn, SU Sage Shadow, Versafine onyx black
Accessories:  The Crafter's Workshop  Bamboo Stencil, Dreamweaver's white embossing paste

Challenges I am Playing In: