Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Christmas shaker ornament/card

 How many homemade Christmas ornaments do you have on your tree?  Every year I make some so the numbers are increasings and the plain glass ones are gradually staying more and more in the box as I have less room.  Maybe I just need to add another tree.  :)


My latest ornament is inspired by a friend who called me and asked me to make something to put on her mom's Christmas tree as a surprise.  She just got diagnosed with breast cancer, her grandkids won't be able to come for Christmas and she's just not feeling festive this season.  So her wonderful daughter thought of bringing a fully decorated tree to her front door with ornaments made from her family/friends.  Isn't that a great idea?


I made this ornament all with dies from Quietfire Design and then taped it to a card - makes it easier for mailing and it just completes it, you know?  It took me a while to figure this out but any die with a nice simple shape can be made into a shaker card!  And you don't even need to have foam which I never seem to have on hand.



I die cut the Flourished ornament from the Love Joy and Peace Ornament set 7 times.  I found a circle die that was bigger than the opening and smaller than the outer edge and used that for the backing of the shaker element.  You can handcut one if you don't have the perfect size because the edges of the circle will be hidden later.  I also cut a circle from an acrylic sheet for my shaker component.  Glue all the 7 layers together and on the back, the circle from cardstock.



You can add more layers depending on how thick you need the spacing.  I'm using chunky glitter so I did not need it too thick. 


Add the glitter and seal it in with the acrylic layer.  I die cut another ornament out of gold foil and put that on the top.  I flipped over the foil and die cut another ornament the wrong side up so that I could put that on on the back of the ornament.  To get rid of the edges of the die cut that is going the "wrong way" I ran just the diecut through my Big Shot again to flatten it out.


I added a tiny poinsettia from the Christmas accents and the word Peace to the front.  I liked this so much I made a few more and am sending the set below to her.  You can write on the back a message - I added some Bible verses that I thought would be encouraging.








I hope you like it and will be inspired to see which dies you can turn into a shaker card/ornament!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a message!