Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Watercolor Chickadee

Taking a little break from making Christmas cards to come back to one of my first stamps I ever bought... this cute little chickadee from ODBD You Will Find Refuge.  The Shining the Light Challenge at ODBD is to make a card using at least 4 letters from the word BLESSINGS and I knew I wanted the B to be Bird. This time around I tried something new - watercoloring this image.  I first stamped it in Distress Ink tea dye - the ink is water soluble so as I am painting, the line blends in so that it the lines disappear.  Here is a great link to combining stamping and watercolors by Dawn Woleslagel.  I then die cut the image out as well as the stamped sentiment and sponged the edges for a white frame.

Diana Nguyen, Chickadee, Scripture, Our Daily Bread Designs, ODBD, card

Here is a close-up of the chickadee.  This was so much fun and different for me - this little guy will be seen again soon!  

Diana Nguyen, Chickadee, Scripture, Our Daily Bread Designs, ODBD, card

B:  Bird
L:  Layers
S: Sponging
I:  Inks
S:  Scripture

Recipe:
Dies:  ODBD Doily and Spellbinders Deckled Rectangles
Inks:  Distress Inks Tea Dye and Salty Ocean
Accessories:  Koi watercolors and ribbon

And make sure you check out my fellow CT sisters for more wonderful inspiration:

To see all the creations in one place or join the challenge, click here.  You have until November 30, 2014 at 8:00pm EDT to join us. By participating in the challenge, you have a chance to be placed in a monthly drawing to win a $15 ODBD Gift Certificate good towards the purchase of stamps in the “stamps column” on the ODBD website, or to be spotlighted on the ODBD Blog at our next challenge. The random prize winner will be posted on the first challenge of each month.We would love to see your creations.

Other Challenges I am playing in:


7 comments:

  1. Wow, I love the way you watercolored this sweet chickadee!! Great use of the wood grain designer paper and the doily, what a great look!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your bird is gorgeous! My goodness, what a fantastic job you did with your water coloring! Love the whole card but I'm especially impressed with the bird!!! Thank you so much for putting the link in there too. I enjoyed watching her video and makes me want to try watercolors again.
    Wonderful card Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Diana, I'm with you about taking a break from Christmas cards - haha!! I totally LOVE this chickadee and love your beautiful watercoloring! It's exquisite and really makes the bird come alive! How precious he is too! I love your layout and how you've used the Doily die and especially love the Scripture you chose for this card! Oh, that we would trust Him, Who holds the world His hand and has everything in control! Beautifully done, Diana, and I wish you and your precious family a very blessed Thanksgiving! So thankful for you and how you continue to share your beautiful artwork with us! Warm hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Diana, what a stunning card!! I so love your creative coloring of the chickadee! Your watercoloring is gorgeous!! Such a soft and beautiful scene!! The added spritzing is a beautiful touch!! What a gorgeous backdrop for that beautiful and comforting verse!! Happy Thanksgiving sweet friend!! May you have a blessed time with your family!!
    hugs,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Diana! I love the look of no lines but never tried it. Your card is a wonderful inspiration! Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Diana! This card is breathtaking! Your watercoloured chickadee is so beautiful and you've done an awesome job colouring him! Beautiful verse to match the beautiful bird!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a message!