Friday, December 5, 2014

Memory Keeper Envelope Punch Board and Ornaments

It's the time of year to make teacher's gifts.  Besides gift cards, I also like to give them cards.  (Duh, right?)  I must admit I resisted buying this Memory Keeper Envelope Punch Board since I already had a score board but then I watched this  video by Jennifer McGuire on how to make gift boxes.  LOVE this tool - quick and easy and love the finishing touches of the corner rounders.

I have a lot of Christmas patterned papers with big bold images on them - which is really hard for me to use on cards.  So I used them to make my boxes instead.

Diana Nguyen, gift box, teacher gift

But what I really wanted to show you was another use for your stamps.  If you look closely, you will see a little ornament attached to the bow.  It's made using Sculpey clay and stamps!  After rolling it out, the kids and I used some snowflake stamps (this one is from Verve's Merry and Bright) and trimming with a palette knife.  Remember to poke a hole with a toothpick so you can thread some twine or ribbon through.  I baked in the toaster oven at 275 degrees for 15 minutes.  It's a wonderful personal touch and the kids really enjoyed making it.

Diana Nguyen, teacher gift, ornament, clay, stamp

Since I had the punch board out, I decided to go ahead and make some envelopes for some recent cards I made that were not the standard A2 size.  Sometimes square cards are just called for!  But when I used the recommended sizes, it didn't quite work.


I place my PEACE card  which is 5"x 5" on top of the envelope I made using 8 1/8"x 8 1/8", scoring at 4 1/8".  You can see that it would be very tight and with the embellishments, it wouldn't really work.  And it really bugged me that the envelope wasn't square!


In this next picture, I cut my paper a little larger to 8 1/2" by 8 1/2" and used the score line at 4 1/4".  Much better!  There's a 1/4" around which is perfect for this thicker card and the envelope is square.


And if you make envelopes as part of a gift, I found that using Scor-tape and leaving the sticker on one side is handy if your recipient does not have adhesives.  Also put a note that square cards require extra postage.  ;)


Long post!  Thanks for making it to the end.  I hope you found it helpful.



1 comment:

  1. Those clay ornaments are fabulous! Might have to let the boys make some of these (so I can play along, too, of course!) And those boxes are just beautiful! My envelope punch board really needs to come out to play again soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a message!