Thursday, September 10, 2015

You are Beautiful


Hello, it's Diana again with a combination of my favorites:  watercolors and butterflies.  This card came together very quickly - after I had messed up a couple of previous attempts.  I just made it too difficult! To make the easier (and prettier) version, read on!  :)

I started with a sheet of watercolor paper trimmed down with the large stitched die from MFT Blueprint 13.  Apparently I am trying to see how long this particular die will last - if you've noticed how often I start my cards with this particular step!  It still works beautifully by the way!  

I then spritzed a very generous amount with my handy dandy spritzer.  I had already activated my Twinkling H2O's Thankful set from my previous attempts.  I then added a some with a brush in the approximate area of where each butterfly would be and let it spread on its own.  It blended beautifully and I am always freshly amazed at how shimmery it is.  I set it aside to dry and die cut two sets of the Memory Box Fairyland butterflies - once in black once in white. I glued the two of them together first - offsetting the black just a bit for a shadow effect with Art Institute glue

Once the watercolor was dry, I went back and splattered a few drops of water to remove some of pigment - another great trick to give it a nice organic watercolor look.  I then glued the butterflies.  

Since the butterflies took up most of the space, to add my sentiment, I stamped in blue pigment ink and then clear embossed on vellum and wrapped it around the watercolor layer.  I always use Scor-tape to adhere the watercolor paper to the base layer because it is so thick and usually a little bit warped.  The stronger the adhesive the better - or it might just pop up a corner after a day or two!  I also added some clear and water dew drops... really going with the water theme today! :)


Diana Nguyen, Memory Box, Fairyland butterflies, butterflies, card, My Favorite Things


Challenges I am playing in: